Sunday, January 1, 2023

2023 Plans

It's 2023! Last time I talked about what all happened in 2022, so if you haven't read that already, you can read that here; it'll provide more context for some of my goals for this year.

2022 was the 20-year anniversary of The Nays, so I made a lot of progress on that!

Here's my updated improvement image to keep up with my yearly tradition:

While 2021 was a year that my mental health improved, unfortunately, 2022 was the year that my physical health declined a lot. Keeping that in mind, I'm going to try and be mindful when coming up with this year's goals.


I really liked the goal last year of trying to draw more. Because of health and other issues that came up, it declined halfway through the year. I do want to keep on posting a monthly digital sketchbook drawing and keep my drawings more personal and less publicized like I did last year. That worked out really well for me and took a lot of pressure and stress off of me. I might even end up drawing more if I set up a routine to sketch something after dinner while I'm still in the living room, either in my sketchbook or using my Switch.


I talked about how I started doing "Nay Days" where my brother and I would meet to work on Nay-related projects. It was hard to find a whole day that we were both free each month, so this year instead we're going to try and meet bi-weekly on a weekday night so we can just talk for a few hours and stay connected more often. This might help us stay more focused on a full day if we have one so we can be productive and write more too!


Last year I had goals about Compass Nays. I didn't end up working on it much and I've really switched gears back to The Nays. It makes sense for me to put this project on hold for another year so I can focus on really putting The Nays out there first. That's the original story and I want that to be the first impression that's out there instead of the modified version. I'm not saying every part is going to be public before I can work on this game again, but I do want to focus on getting it in a good spot where I can routinely make at least 1-2 Twines per year before trying to split focus on a different big project. I'd like to make my goal that I create 2 Eventure Twines this year.

So with that, I'm going to focus on The Nays again this year. My goal is to finish proofreading all of the Eventures I've written and then start making progress on more of the rewrites and storyboards for various Eventures. With these new bi-weekly Nay Days, I'm hoping we can also write more of the Eventures that are missing from the earlier parts of the story so I can make quicker progress on these.

I'm also not saying I won't work on Compass Nays at all this year. If I'm inspired and want to pick it back up to work on it for a few weeks, I will. But I'm not dedicating any goals or expecting that I'll work on it this year.


I also had a goal last year where I wanted to talk more about The Nays and get comfortable sharing that. I made progress on it but I wouldn't say I really perfected that, so I want to work on it some more. If I end up creating more Twine stories this year, that means more opportunities for me to share those parts of the story with my friends during the CUPdates.

I also was thinking about trying out the Nay A Week project again this year, but with a twist. It could be called Eventure A Week instead. This idea would be to vaguely describe each Eventure in under 30 seconds, and spoiler-free. This would help me talk about The Nays and pitch it better!

Also not really project-related, but I had fun taking a photo every day, so I would love to continue that project for fun as well.


And this may not be a possible goal, but I'm putting it out into existence! I'd like to improve my health this year. I don't know if it's possible with my conditions, but I'd like to at least try harder with continuing my daily exercises and using my standing desk, and maybe gradually things will get better.


So overall, here's a summary of the main project-based goals:

  • Draw daily, or as often as possible, and post those digital sketchbook pages online once a month.
  • Meet with my brother bi-weekly for Nay Days.
  • Create 2 Eventure Twines for The Nays. Also continue to focus on The Nays with proofreading, storyboards, and rewrites.
  • Record a new vlog series called Eventure A Week. Talk about each Eventure in less than 30 seconds each, spoiler-free.

Hopefully, these goals are reasonable and I'm able to accomplish them this year! I love the feeling of starting January with a fresh slate. I'm looking forward to making this year better than 2022!

No comments:

Post a Comment