Saturday, July 25, 2026

CUPdate 104: Web Projects, Eventures, & SN World Returns

The past few months have been a struggle to find time to work on many projects due to how crazy work has been. When I did work on projects, it wasn't anything super big, just a few small mini-projects and then finally some writing for The Nays. This CUPdate post is a bunch of those projects that don't all exactly go together but are what I've been up to when I have the time.

I decided to spend a few hours one night making an HTML website in p5.js. I wanted something quick with a WYSIWYG interface and realized p5.js would be a great place for that. My brother and I were reminiscing on our old projects, which sometimes included making our own HTML websites, coming up with stories about our characters, and making various mixed media mini-projects. We also really wanted a throwback to old websites from 20+ years ago. So I made this little website with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript just testing out various fun code and adding effects to the website as I explored the W3 Schools pages. You can view my website, Woobin's Judgment here!

Another little web project I did was updating the Google Scripts that I made for turning Eventure documents into Twine formatting. Previously, it would sometimes freeze halfway through because of the way I had my script set up when I would add more names to the list it was searching for. So I updated it to read a Google Sheets list instead and populate the colors and everything based on that instead.

I build upon my already existing p5.js project where I auto-populate an Eventure Twine template, but made it even more automated with Google Docs, Sheets, and Scripts!

 

I reused some of the code from the Twine converter but optimized it and cut it down to only add the variables to store the data from a sheet, then added to the page with the HTML text that I use for Twines. This is a lot more automated so I don't have to manually copy passage names anymore and speed up this process even more.

And not necessarily a web project, but The Nays-related, I wrote a few more Eventures, so figured this would be a good place to mention those. My brother and I wrote the Tag World Eventure, adding a lot more to that one that I started awhile ago. We wrote the beginning together. Then the parts that had just my brother's characters ended up being a time where I sketched out some rough storyboard moments while he was writing. It was a fun little way to stay involved and watch the Eventure be written in real-time. We still have to write the end of the Eventure, but we're making progress on it.

I also drew some sketches for the Fox Competition Eventure while I was planning some story moments. I wrote that Eventure solo in a couple of nights, and decided which of these story moments are actually canon (as some were rough ideas that didn't end up happening).

And then I came back to an old activity that we called "SN World Returns" where I would draw my characters in the style of Shonen Jump manga using panels as a reference. So this is Akuma, Lisha, and Skine.

So it was good to get back into writing The Nays for a few weeks. But it was still difficult to keep that motivation up while I was working extra hours and exhausted at the end of each day. I'm hoping to get back into my personal projects more consistently some time soon though!

No comments:

Post a Comment