Monday, January 28, 2019

Global Game Jam 2019

Over the weekend, my brother and I participated in the Global Game Jam! This was our 4th time creating a project for this and it was super fun.




Here's the title screen for our project. Originally it was based on some old VHS tape covers.

The theme for the GGJ ended up being home, which is perfectly themed for The Nays! Our entire series is based around this concept of figuring out what home means to them, so it was perfect.

Almost too perfect. At first, we weren't sure what to do because we didn't know how to tell all of these ideas in such a short game. But we ended up making something we're both really proud of.

We went with a very simplistic pixel art style, which is something neither of us has really explored in-depth, so it was a really fun experiment. We got way more done than I was expecting, and I was impressed we actually managed to fit almost all of our ideas into this little game for the weekend.


I think this sums up our game best. This is my favorite background that my brother drew and it includes most of the character sprites that I created.

This is a screenshot of one of the mini-games I coded and created the interface for. It was based on one that I made back in VX Ace, but I hade to entirely recode it since there were updates and I wasn't entirely sure how I did it at first.


This is a scene from the opening of the game where they're gathered around Shelter 128 in Tag World.

This was an in-progress screenshot we took before the whole interface was fleshed out. This was one of the first mini-games I made.

And this is a sneak preview!

Overall it was a very successful Game Jam and I think it was probably our best! I wrote this post entirely after no sleep for 24 hours, so I'm trying to keep it fairly short.

Just go play the game for yourself and you'll get to experience everything we worked on!



No comments:

Post a Comment