Monday, January 1, 2018

Onward to 2018!

Now it's 2018, which means a new beginning!

I'm going to start off by showing a summary of my art over the years.


(If this is too hard to read or see, check out the bigger version here)

2017 was kind of slow year artistically in comparison to previous years since I was so busy, and I anticipate that 2018 will be equally busy. So how am I planning to balance that?

It's actually something I'm trying to work out and think through. For right now though, I'm thinking that I need a break from "daily projects," since sometimes those end up draining my creativity in a weird way since they're more limited. I might end up trying to stick to more sketches and illustrations. I think it would be beneficial to have more variety in my work so it's not just set daily projects.

I know I get caught up in it every year, but this year I'm going to try and see how posting every other day works instead of posting every day (on blogger at least). That way I might be able to spend more time on things instead of worrying about what I need to create in order to make a post for the next day. That might help me out a bit more with experimenting.

I want to create more posts showcasing my progress rather than just showing what I've drawn over the past two days. I feel like that would set my blog apart from my other social media platforms, which is kind of what I want to do.

I also want to create more projects for fun instead of "for posting." For example, taking some time to just mess around in RPG Maker on a game that I'm not planning to release anywhere might be a fun usage of my time. And who knows, maybe something really awesome will come out of it and I'll actually polish it enough to post it some day.

I also want to start practicing fundamentals like anatomy and proportions again. I've been so busy that I haven't had much time to dedicate to it, but I've kind of noticed it in some of my art, so I want to get back into that habit.

Another thing I kind of want to get back into was something I started back in 2016. I want to do more world building and character development stuff. 2016 focused a lot on "the portfolio," but I kind of just want to do a bunch more sketches and concepts revolving around the world I've built and different costumes/changes that my characters go through. I've already started a bunch of documents to develop these things, but I think it would be fun to dive in and just draw some of the things I've written about.


Like what if I worked on illustrations/more detailed concepts on Sundays? Just an idea since those will be my most free days. But that might be a fun idea. Right now I'm basically just brainstorming, so no promises yet.


I do have some plans for a project that I'll be doing in February and March, but more details on that project will come once I start it and flesh it out a little more. That project is going to be very personal, too, so I'm not sure how much of it will actually be posted publicly.

Right now I have a lot of hypothetical things that I want to happen in 2018. It's weird and different because I'm used to very planned out goals and schedules, but I wonder if this kind of freedom and open plan will actually be more beneficial for me in a way. I'm going to try it out this year and then see how it goes. And I predict that as the year progresses I'm going to create an organized plan anyway, but starting out this way is an interesting change in pace that I'd like to try out.

So anyway, these are just some general thoughts and ideas. Now to start creating new stuff in 2018! Hopefully it'll be an even better year than 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment